Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Fantasy, A Rant and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

This semester, I SWEAR I am going to be one of those people that goes to the uni in the morning and stays there ALL DAY. When I'm not in class, I'll go the LIBRARY, and study and do work and shit, and be GOOD AT LIFE. Maybe I'll even take a PACKED LUNCH. Going home for lunch is Bad, because then I will end up doing naughty behaviour like eating for 2 hours straight and going on the internet and watching the television and playing the piano and goodness knows whatever else it is that I usually manage to waste a whole day away doing. And it will be amazing and everybody will look at me and say to each other "that girl is obviously very onto it and stays at uni all day and gets A+ in everything. She probably also has a full-time job and rich and fulfilling social and love lives."

This, of course, is nothing new. It is a fantasy that I have had every semester since I started uni and so far it has not once come even close to true. There was this one period for about two weeks before exams (semester 2, 2008) where I was getting up at 6 every morning to do exercise and being at uni by 9 and staying there until 10-11pm and it was AMAZING and I totally DOMINATED the beep outta those exams and I thought it was going to last forever. But it didn't, because I suck at life. But this time is going to be DIFFERENT. Because there is no reason why I SHOULDN'T, or CAN'T do this. Maybe I'll just do it, like, 3 days a week or something. Even one day a week would be a start. But I'm going to do it SOMETIMES, and then maybe I will start doing it MORE and I am hoping that somewhere in the middle of all this I will transform into a GROWN-UP or at least a teenager....

Speaking of grown-ups: Mature students. Ugh. My Film Music lecturer announced that she was going to discuss the plot of West Side Story and put up a slide about it. Instantly some Mature Student blurted out "IT'S QUITE SIMILAR TO ROMEO AND JULIET EH." OH REALLY, YOU DON'T SAY. IT'S ONLY, LIKE, BASED ON IT AND SHIT. SO CONGRATULATIONS FOR YOUR AMAZING OBSERVATION. YOU'RE SO WORLDLY. And also, if you'd bother to read the slide, before butting in, IT ALREADY SAYS THAT IN LARGE WRITING ON THE SCREEN IN FRONT OF THE CLASS.

OK rant over.

Later on in the same class, we watched The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. If anyone hasn't seen this (which seems likely as no-one in the class had seen it), it's pretty crazy. It's all in French, and it's all sung. Not actual songs with catchy tunes though like what you would expect from a musical... Just normal dialogue, but sung over some background music and often sounds kinda tuneless and random.. Anyway, it left me feeling really sad. I think it was the fact that the two people who are obviously in love and perfect for each other and meant to be etc etc.. ended up happily married, but not to each other. I was outraged that they would dare to be happy with other people. Obviously not 100% happy, but happy enough not to get back together like they should have. Rah. Saying that, I thought that the female character was absolutely pathetic (she kept saying things like "don't leave me, I'll die without you" about one thousand times) so perhaps the dude was better off without her anyway. And perhaps the only way she could have a functional relationship was to be with someone she doesn't really feel that tragic way about.

No comments:

Post a Comment